Building on a background in mindfulness
We have found that to be effective, Koru Mindfulness teachers need a strong background in the study and practice of mindfulness. Additionally, experience with teaching or running groups, working with young adults, and working with diverse populations will be a strong asset. We have thus developed the following pre-requisites for the certification program:
- Completion of a formal mindfulness-training program or similar experience with mindfulness training is required. Koru Fundamentals, offered by the Center for Koru Mindfulness, is recommended. But programs such as MBSR, MBCT, MSC, training by the Center for Mind-Body medicine or other similarly structured programs are also acceptable. Alternatively, formal mindfulness training through working with a teacher or attending multiple retreats may be acceptable.
- Experience teaching classes or facilitating groups is suggested.
- Experience working with diverse populations or participation in diversity training experiences is strongly recommended.
- Participation in a 3-day or longer mindfulness meditation retreat led by an experienced mindfulness teacher, either prior to commencing certification or during the process. During the COVID pandemic, we are allowing some online retreats to meet this requirement. We’ve created a spreadsheet with some options, many of which are offering online retreats.
- An ongoing personal practice, most days, for at least 6 months.