Building on a background in mindfulness
We have found that to be effective, Koru Mindfulness teachers need a strong background in the study and practice of mindfulness. Additionally, experience with teaching or running groups, working with young adults, and working with diverse populations will be a strong asset. We have thus developed the following pre-requisites for the certification program:
- Completion of a formal mindfulness-training program or similar experience with mindfulness training is required. Koru Basic plus Koru 2.0 is recommended. But programs such as MBSR, MBCT, MSC, training by the Center for Mind-Body medicine or other similarly structured programs are also acceptable. Alternatively, formal mindfulness training through working with a teacher or attending multiple retreats may be acceptable.
- Experience teaching classes or facilitating groups is suggested.
- Experience working with diverse populations or participation in diversity training experiences is strongly recommended.
- Participation in a 3-day or longer silent mindfulness meditation retreat, either prior to commencing certification or during the process, is required.
- An ongoing personal practice, most days, for at least 6 months.